About the Development Group
The Hertfordshire Development Group is represented by various partners who support the 65 clubs in the county. These partners are England Golf, Golf Foundation, PGA (Professional Golf Association), and Hertfordshire Sports Partnership all working with Volunteers with the primary objective of growing the game of golf across the county of Hertfordshire and ensuring that there is a pathway available to any person, regardless of age, gender, background or ability, that wishes to participate in this fantastic game.
The Development Group’s responsibilities and goals
- To promote the game of golf and increase people’s awareness.
- To introduce more people to golf regardless of age, gender, ability or background.
- To provide opportunities for people to sustain their involvement and regularly participate.
- To educate people on the rules and etiquette of the game.
- To try to make it easier for people to join a golf club by improving accessibility and affordability.
- To undertake the training and support of volunteers and coaches.
- To establish a repository of standards and good practice.
- To support the development of golfing talent by working with the appropriate bodies.
How do we achieve our goals?
The Development Group have targeted initiatives each year that see the growth of the game in the county. Examples of these include:
- Women on Par events, which was pioneered by the group in 2016, has since become an England Golf case study and retention initiative, now rolled out nationally.
- Pro Challenge is a mixed adult initiative encouraging Professionals to enter a team of 4 beginners they currently coach, to compete on a Par 3 course against other teams.
- Golf Foundation’s GolfSixes League sees six Hertfordshire golf clubs with teams of 6 players, playing in a Texas Scramble format at the six venues. This league follows the very successful GolfSixes Professional tournament held at Centurion Golf Club in May since 2017.
- Hertfordshire Sports Partnership initiatives, such as Year of Physical Activity, support the clubs to grow the game through their own club activities.
- Community Activity - Guides and Scouts are one of the targeted audiences where the group support PGA Professionals and clubs to run taster sessions at various uniform groups with the aim of encouraging the participants into regular golf activity.
- Community Activity – Disability has always been very strong within Hertfordshire with an average of 3 opportunity projects, from schools to adult care homes, supported each year.
Golf Devlopment Group Activities 2018
Scouts and Guides Activities.
Bishops Stortford GC 6th June Scouts.
Ashridge GC 7th June Brownies.
Aldwickbury GC 2oth June Guides
Aldwickbury GC 27th June Guides
Wellend 30th Sept Brownies
All of the above will be follow by 5 week beginner sessions funded by Herts Golf Ltd
Our Disability programme for this year is as follows.
Visually Impaired May - July Chesfield Downs Jo Oliver
Wheelchair Hub June Lonsdale School. Jo Oliver
Deaf May - July Heathlands School Ryan Walters
S.O April - Oct Harpenden Common Rob Leonard.
All of the above are funded by private donations.
HG Ltd Funded
Saracens April-August Pinewood School Ian Taylor
SEN project. “ “ Valley School Ben Lawrence
Golf Foundation Funded
Autism Jan-April Radlett Lodge Scott Wood
Sport England Funded
Autism April 18 - Radlett Lodge Scott Wood.
Our office is located at the Herts Golf Ltd office at Chesfield Downs Golf Club
Jacks Hill, Graveley, Herts, SG4 7EQ. Tel. 08081 682333.