INITIATIVES AND GOALS OF DEVELOPMENT
County Development Initiatives
Golf Access - a new programme which supports beginners of all ages into membership at golf clubs. For more information on the programme click
Hertfordshire Clubs using Golf Access :
The Development Group’s responsibilities and goals
- To promote the game of golf and increase people’s awareness.
- To introduce more people to golf regardless of age, gender, ability or background.
- To provide opportunities for people to sustain their involvement and regularly participate.
- To educate people on the rules and etiquette of the game.
- To try to make it easier for people to join a golf club by improving accessibility and affordability.
- To undertake the training and support of volunteers and coaches.
- To establish a repository of standards and good practice.
- To support the development of golfing talent by working with the appropriate bodies.
How do we achieve our goals?
The Development Group have targeted initiatives each year that see the growth of the game in the county. Examples of these include:
Women on Par events, which was pioneered by the group in 2016, has since become an England Golf case study and retention initiative, now rolled out nationally.
Golf Foundation’s GolfSixes League currently sees six Hertfordshire golf clubs with teams of 6 players, playing in a Texas Scramble format at the six venues. This league follows the very successful GolfSixes Professional tournament held at Centurion Golf Club in May since 2017.
Hertfordshire Sports Partnership initiatives, such as Year of Physical Activity or Fit, Fed and Read, support the clubs to grow the game through their own club activities.
Community Activity - Guides and Scouts are another targeted audience where the group support PGA Professionals and clubs to run taster sessions at various uniform groups with the aim of encouraging the participants into regular golf activity at the golf club sites.
Community Activity – Disability has always been very strong within Hertfordshire with an average of 3 opportunity projects, from schools to adult care homes, supported each year.
Workshops - Together with external partners, we host or organise workshops which include safeguarding or initiative workshops around the county for volunteers and professionals
Our office is located at the Herts Golf Ltd office at Chesfield Downs Golf Club
Jacks Hill, Graveley, Herts, SG4 7EQ. Tel. 08081 682333.